Thursday, November 27, 2014

THE ART OF RICHARD THOMPSON, day 4

I am one of those who ranks the drawn line alongside the discovery of fire and the invention of agriculture on the list of human advances.  However, I have learned after years with this blog that a number of you actually believe painting, not drawing, is the true test of an artist.  As I understand this rather remarkable claim, an artist must work with the full symphony of elements presented by a painting in order to ascend to the higher tiers.

It is with this audience in mind-- the people who incomprehensibly remain unseduced by a jaunty line-- that I've selected a painting as today's example from The Art of Richard Thompson.


Santa's Sweatshop
 Although Richard's medium of choice in more recent years has been pen and ink,  The Art of Richard Thompson contains a number of works in full color, ranging from oil paintings and watercolor to pastel and colored pencil.
 


In my opinion, Richard's full color work contains excellent touches,  reminiscent of an artist who has worked full time with color and has developed a painterly way of viewing the world.  Another example of the breadth of his talent.






3 comments:

kev ferrara said...

This is very cute, funny-sad. I love "clausco" and the way the red thread threads the sewing machine. I can tell he's looked at those early pedal-powered machines and how absurdly kluged they are in terms of their engineering. And the gravity defying bell at the top is the topper. Fun stuff!

Arun Kumar said...

I love Richard Thompson's work, and I'm so happy to see you highlighting it!

David Apatoff said...

Kev Ferrara and Arun Kumar-- many thanks.